Ajmer Government Museum
Situated in the heart of the old city, the Ajmer Government Museum is housed in the beautiful fort and palace that was built by the Mughal Emperor Akbar in 1570. It was here that the British envoy Sir Thomas Roe first met Emperor Jahangir in 1616.
The Museum was started in 1908 by the Government of India with the object of collecting and preserving many unique objects of antiquarian interest which were lying uncared for and scattered all over Rajasthan. Today, the museum houses some of the important exhibits from all the princely States while its library contains rare books and important historical publications.
The museum's main sections are devoted to Sculptures, epigraphs, Proto-historic antiquities, Arms and Weapons. In addition, artifacts from Adhai-din-ka-Jhonpara and other exhibits lying in various go-downs further form a large reserve collection.
The Museum houses a rich collection of artifacts ranging from the Guptas to the late medieval period. Sculptures constitute the most interesting section in this Museum and the Chaturmukh Shivliga, Lingodbhava Mahesvara from Harashnath and other fine Shiva-Parvati panels from Katara (Bharatpur) and Kusma (Sirohi) as well as a number of Surya ,Vishnu ,Hari Hara lakshmi-Narayan, and Mother & child are some of the collections that are housed there. An excellant collection of sculptures from the Chauhan centre of Baghera (10th 12th A.D.) are also preserved here as also a fine collection of JainTirthankara images and rare images of Gomukha Yaksha and Saraswati which are on display in the Jain gallery of this Museum.
The Epigraphical section has around hundered exhibits, many of whom are still in excellent condition.Of special interest are the Brahmi inscription from Barli (2nd century B.C.), the Jodhpur Inscription of Bauka, the Pratapgarh Inscription of Mahendrapala II and the Nagari. Samoli Slab Inscription of Siladitya. A number of important copper plate grants add to the value of rich collection of museum. They include: two copper plates of Maharaj Sarvanatha of Uchchhakapla (437-38 A.D. refferring to Kalachuri Era), Daulatpura copper plate of the Pratihara king Bhojadeva and, the copper plate of Rana Kumbha of Mewar.
The museum also has a rich collection of paintings and coins. From the early punch marked coins to those of the Gupta coins, once can trace the developments of coins in India. Coins of the Rajputs kings are also preserved here.